L.S. Ayres Cherub on Clock Carded Magnet
The Ayres clock sits 30 feet above the corner of Meridian and Washington streets in downtown Indianapolis. This picture from 1947 marks the first appearance of the 3-foot cherub.
Ayres celebrated the 75th anniversary of the business by donating a tree to every public school in Indianapolis and sending packages of zinnia seeds to over 100,000 customers. An Indiana Artists Exhibit was held in the auditorium with 200 paintings, drawings and etchings.
On Thanksgiving Eve a beautiful bronze Cherub appeared on the bracket of the Ayres Clock. At midnight on Christmas Eve he disappeared. Every year he returns keeping vigil from Thanksgiving Eve to Christmas Eve.
2" x 3" carded magnet; exclusively made from an image in The Indiana Historical Society Collection; photo in the L.S. Ayres and Company Collection, 1858-1992.